Monday, February 18, 2008

Pavlik Wins Again

The Pavlik-Taylor fight on Saturday was entertaining and an overall good fight, but not a fight of the year contender, unless 2008 turns out to be a terrible year for boxing. Off TV, I scored the fight for Pavlik 118-110 giving Kelly virtually every close round. I gave Pavlik Rounds 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 12, and Taylor only 2 and 10. I acknowledge that this card might be a round or two wide in favor of Pavlik, but I was not impressed by Taylor's bursts that came all too infrequently. To his credit, Taylor fought a more strategic fight and would have done better had be pumped the jab the entire fight like Pavlik did. Most of the writers cards I have seen had Pavlik winning by two to four points, with Steve Kim, Dan Rafael and Tom Hauser scoring it even. I will watch the fight a second time and see if I give Taylor more rounds.

One thing that struck me in the post fight write ups is that the coverage seems to be focused on Taylor as opposed to the winner Pavlik. Jermain fought a solid fight and didn't get knocked out like in the first fight, but he did not do enough to win and his lack of lateral movement, steady consistent jab and occasional looping punches are what cost him the fight. As I noted in a question posted in Doug Fisher's Monday Mail Bag, Pavlik was predictable, throwing a double jab and straight right throughout the entire fight. Before the second Erik Morales fight, this is what Manny Pacquiao did and won not because he was consistent, but because he has blazing speed and KO power. Pavlik only has the power. Doug agreed that Kelly needs to expand his game against tougher opposition. If Taylor isn't that tougher opposition, then why all the praise in a losing effort?

There was talk about a third fight between the two down the road, but I see no reason. Kelly has been there, done that and unless Jermain can beat top opposition at 168 (not Jeff Lacy, Sakio Bika, Librado Andrade) I see no reason to do it again. After a long rest and a tune up type of fight, I want to see Taylor in with Kessler, whose jab will be even tougher for him to overcome than Pavlik's, but who is susceptible to speed, which Taylor has.

No comments: